Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Missing You

My Dad was honored tonight when he was inducted into the FIRST athletic hall of fame class in Cannon County, TN, where he played football. 


What an honor for him to be inducted along with the athletes he always talked about and admired. You see, he would often talk about how he played in high school and college and we were always like, "Yeah Dad, we know, you were good." Well, I have to say that I never really knew how good he actually was until recently when so many people have enjoyed talking about how he played and how good he was. 


He played one year in high school during which they won the state title and then played at Austin Peay, catching the touchdown pass to win the school's only title in the OVC. Do I sound proud? I am! Oh how I wish, though, that he could have been there to receive that award and hear those stories told about him. He would have been so proud and I would give anything to have seen the look on his face. 

It doesn't seem real that it has been almost a year without him. In one week it will be a year and I think about all the things that I would like to tell him and all the things I wish he could have been a part of in the last year and the years to come, although I would not wish back that suffering he endured for anything. 


My handsome, grown-up little brother saying thank-you for the award. 

I just hope that, in some way, he knows that he is missed and that his family is so proud of him. He was represented tonight by so many people who love him.


Aunts, uncles, cousins, and siblings.

Two tables full of family love!

Daddy, you are missed and I would give anything to have you sitting here in the living room with me tonight telling me your football stories. I would listen all night.


2 comments:

  1. I know you're so proud! It's nice to know that you're not the only one who loved and misses him... I'm so sorry he wasn't there in person. I'll continue to pray for your family as you approach the anniversary. I love you all so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regena! I love you! You are so amazing. I couldn't imagine enduring what you have this past year..allll together. Everything really does happen when in nursing school, like they said. This made me tear up & my heart hurt. I love my daddy so much & it is clear you had the same relationship with your father. I'm sure he knows he is missed & very loved by you.

    ReplyDelete