Thursday, September 23, 2010

Giving It Up Anyway

OK, so I wasn't going to talk about this on here because we were turning it over to God and I didn't want to dwell on negative things.  However, my thought is that this is going to be a life-long challenge... and what is a blog about our lives if I don't talk about what's going on in our lives?  I'm going to make a long story short.  3 weeks ago today, Chris was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis.  The is a chronic, autoimmune disorder involving the GI tract.  He's been struggling with it without knowing what it was for about 6 months.  (In case you're wondering, he's totally OK with me writing this)  Anyway, we found out 3 weeks ago, the doctor gave him meds to take, and told him to come back in 3 weeks.  Uh, what?  More info please!  So the last 3 weeks we have researched, talked to people, and just tried to figure out what the heck we were up against.  Meanwhile Chris has pretty bad reactions to 2 medications and has to be put on steroids.  This has been a long 3 weeks!  The steroids made him feel MUCH better but can't be used long-term.  We went back to the doctor today to find out that the doctor is 90% sure that this is UC but is wanting to do MORE tests to rule out the other 10.  It is disappointing that the 2 meds he had reactions to are in the family of the best medications for maintenance of "remission"-the time periods where the symptoms will be minimal.  The doc told us about a different drug that can be "infused" every two months.  We have no idea about cost/effects of this drug.  The doctor didn't start him on anything today because he wants to see if the symptoms are held off right now because of the steroid treatment. 
I have been pretty impressed with Chris through this whole thing.  He has been very laid-back and I can tell he is working on his trust in God to take care of him.  We've both been through our share of emotions, don't get me wrong!  Today was a little tough for us both.  I guess we both wanted some real answers and the truth is, there are none to be had right at this moment. 
We're doing pretty well.  On Monday, Chris got some GREAT news about a job prospect.  We are continuing on and making the most of it!  I can't think of a time in our marriage when we've been closer.  I hurt for him, though, when he hurts and I would take it away in a second if I could.  We have been reminded that God is in control and are doing our best to have FAITH!  All I know is that we are in His hands and, really, where else would you rather be?

 P.S.  So this ended up being a not-so-short story.  Sorry bout that!:)

3 comments:

  1. Regena, my mom had filled me in on this already. Please know that we are praying for Chris and you right now. I know that the unknown is scary but I'm so glad to hear how it's bringing you both into more complete trust of God. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, Regena it must be so difficult! You & your hubby will be in my thoughts & prayers! I'll never forget how you didn't even know me the first semester & you sent me that sweet email when Christopher's dad had the strokes. You are such a caring person! If I can help you with anything just let me know. I will be happy to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of prayers! I'm so sorry. I can't even imagine how stressful and scary this is for you guys. At least you have each other. And better yet, you have a God who loves you. He'll never leave you... I'll keep on praying!

    ReplyDelete